General Documents Required

When you apply for student aid, you should have certain documents on hand

• Collect federal [and state] tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:

o IRS 1040
o Foreign tax return, IRS 1040NR, or IRS 1040NR-EZ
o Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau

o *Tax information can be estimated and corrected later if a tax return has not yet been completed. Get free information and assistance from the Financial Aid Office at the college you plan to attend, or the U.S. Department of Education at or call 1- 800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

  • Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA form!)

  • Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student

  • Your driver’s license number if you have one

  • Your Alien Registration number if you are

    not a U.S. citizen

  • Records of your untaxed income, such as

    child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student

Other documents may include social security forms, public assistance records, and proof of independence.

Financial aid applications are subject to a federal confirmation process called, Verification.
Verification is the process your school uses to confirm that the data reported on your FAFSA form is accurate. If you are selected for verification, your school will request additional documentation that supports the information you reported.

Being selected for verification does not necessarily mean that you did something wrong. All you need to do is provide the additional documentation your school requests; be sure to do so by the school’s deadline, to ensure that you are considered for financial aid.

Failure to comply with the verification process will render the applicant ineligible for Federal Student Aid (Title IV).