General Documents Needed
· Federal [and state] tax information or tax returns including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
o Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
o *Tax information can be estimated and corrected later if a tax return has not yet been completed.
· Your Social Security number (it’s important that you enter it correctly on the FAFSA form!)
· Your parents’ Social Security numbers if you are a dependent student
· Your driver’s license number if you have one
· Your Permanent Resident Card number
· Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you
are a dependent student
· Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which
you live); and business and farm
· Assets for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student.
· Other documents may include social security benefit information, public assistance records, and proof of independence.