Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Guidelines for Official Translation of Documents All translations must meet the following conditions:.

Guidelines for Official Translation of Documents

If you opt to have your records evaluated by UAPC, you'll need to provide the following documents and word-for-word translations for all documents not issued in English.

·         Copies of the complete secondary school record

·         Secondary school graduation diploma

·         Any external examination certificates earned

·         An official transcript of university work sent directly from the issuing institution

 Official translations may be obtained from the following:

•         Consulate or embassy of the country that is issuing the document

•         Translation agency

•         Immigrant or refugee association in the U.S. representing the country issuing the document

•         The institution where the student studied

•         A faculty member of a U.S. high school, college, or university (must signify their academic department and rank)

 All translations must meet the following conditions:

•         Complete and literal (word-for-word) with no attempts to interpret or evaluate the credential

•         Prepared in the same format as the original document

•         Typed on business or school letterhead stationery

•         Signed by a translator attesting to familiarity with the foreign language

CUNY does not accept translations from the following:

·         The student or members of their family

·         Individuals not affiliated with any of the organizations listed above

Applicants educated outside of the United States may choose to have their record evaluated by one of the approved evaluation services listed below or by the University Application Processing Center:

·         Josef Silny & Associates, Inc., International Education Consultants

·         Transcript Research

 If using one of the above services, you must request an official course-by-course evaluation report which includes a GPA based on all secondary school coursework and any external examination certificates earned. In addition, be sure to ask that the evaluation service includes certified copies of all documentation used for the evaluation.