Skip to Main Content

Special Situation

Special Situation - County charge backs at Community Colleges

As a condition for registration, community colleges require that every New York state resident who resides outside of New York City present a certificate of residence issued no earlier than two months before the first day of classes. The Certificate is valid for a period of one year. If the county of residence declines to issue the Certificate on the basis that the student is not a county resident, the student may appeal to the New York Secretary of State. Students verifying residency must complete the City University Residency Form. The form can be picked up at the Admissions and Recruitment Office located at 500 Grand Concourse. Any student who receives a negative residency determination must receive, along with this determination, a copy of the college's appeal procedures. Students wishing to appeal a negative residency determination must notify the Admissions and Recruitment Office within ten days of notification that they have been deemed a non-resident. A student appeal form will be submitted to the University's Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Legal Affairs and General Counsel.

 For more information about the residency verification process, contact:

Carlos Rivera, Director
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Building B, First Floor
Telephone: (718) 319-7900