Skip to main content

Veteran Education Benefits

Veterans, Active Service Members, reservists, and dependents (wife, husband, and children) of veterans are entitled to a variety of benefits. The Department of Veterans Affairs has a webpage where you can get V.A. educational benefit programs information. The webpage address is or call toll-free at 1 (888) 442-4551. If you are hearing impaired, call toll-free at 1-800-829-4833.

 I. Federal Education Veterans Administration benefits consist of chapters listed below: 

  • CH30 - Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

  • CH31 – Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits (VR&E)

  • CH33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill® 

  • CH35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

  • CH1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

  • Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

 To apply for GI Bill®, VA Educational Benefits you can contact the VA education office by:

Telephone: (888) 442-4551
Mail: Department of Veterans Affairs, VA Regional Office, P.O. Box 4616, Buffalo, NY 14240-4616.

For Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits (VR&E) the veteran must obtain approval from the VA and must work with a VR&E counselor at the Veterans Administration Regional Office located at 245 West Houston Street, New York, NY 10014. Or you can call VR&E telephone number at 1 (212) 807-3008. 

Veteran Students Using the GI Bill® who choose the Credit/No Credit Grading Policy option may owe a debt to the VA. Contact the campus Veterans School Certifying Official prior to declaring the CR/NC option. Our Certifying Official can be reached at

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

 II. NY State Education benefits for Veterans and Service Member expand include Air/Army National Guard members. Benefits consists of

•         Higher Education Services Corporation (H.E.S.C.) Veterans Tuition Award (V.T.A.)
•         The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)
•         Federal Tuition Assistance Program

 To get more DMNA & NY state information please visit: or contact Ms.

Kaneisha L. Chapman at phone number (518) 786- 0466 or email her at

It is necessary for every veteran and dependent attending Hostos Community College report to HOVA each semester. To be registered with the office you will need Release or Discharge from Active Duty Form (DD214) or Certification of Eligibility Form (DD2384/2384-1) to initiate the veteran’s and dependent’s enrollment status to the V.A. all Veterans and service members applying for benefits must be able to document their service in the military, marital status, and their dependents. If you are a Reservist or National Guard member please bring your Military ID as proof of service.